GOOGLE IT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE
Course 1- Technical Support Fundamentals
Week 3: Operating System
Coursera Study Guide
TABLE OF CONTENT
- PRACTICE QUIZ: WHAT IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM?
- PRACTICE QUIZ: INSTALLING AN OPERATING SYSTEM
- GRADED QUIZ: ACCESSING QWIKLABS
In the third week of the course, we will become familiar with operating systems. We discuss the operating systems that are most widely used today and learn how an operating system interacts with computer hardware. We will learn about the startup process of an operating system and show you how to install the Windows, Linux and Mac OS X operating systems from scratch. At the end of this module you will interact directly with the Windows and Linux operating systems via the Qwiklabs environment.
- Know what the main components that make up an operating system are.
- Understand the boot process of an operating system.
- Be able to install an operating system.
- Create a file using the Windows and Linux operating systems.
PRACTICE QUIZ: WHAT IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM?
1. What are the two main parts that make up an operating system?
- Kernel and Packages
- Users and Software
- Windows and Mac
- Kernel and Userspace (CORRECT)
Wohoo! The two parts that make up an operating system are the kernel and the user space.
2. What are the main components of file management? Check all that apply.
- File data (CORRECT)
- Metadata (CORRECT)
- File system (CORRECT)
You got it! The main components of file management are the storage of data, the file metadata, and the filesystem.
3. Which of these are true? Check all that apply.
- A program is a process that is executed. A process is a program that we can run.
- A program is initially stored in RAM. A process is initially stored in the hard drive.
- A program is an application that we can run. A process is a program that is executed. (CORRECT)
- You can have many processes running for one program. (CORRECT)
Great job! A program is an application, and a process is an application that is executed. You can have many processes running for the same program.
4. What are the characteristics of virtual memory? Check all that apply.
- Allows our computer to have more memory than it physically has. (CORRECT)
- Combination of RAM and hard drive space. (CORRECT)
- It is where we store pages that are being executed.
- Stores pages that are currently not in use by physical memory. (CORRECT)
Excellent job! Virtual memory allows us to extend the physical memory on our machine.
5. Which of these is a GUI? Check all that apply.
- Option One
- Option Two (CORRECT)
- Option Three (CORRECT)
- Option Four
Great job! These are all examples of a GUI
6. Which of these are considered I/O devices? Check all that apply.
- Speakers (CORRECT)
- Hard disk drives (CORRECT)
- Monitors (CORRECT)
- Web cams (CORRECT)
Excellent job! Any devices that receive input or send out output are considered I/O devices.
7. What is the last step in booting a computer?
- Execute the bootloader.
- Load up drivers.
- Perform a POST.
- User space is launched. (CORRECT)
Well done, you! The last step in booting a computer is launching the user space, like a login window, GUI, and more.
8. ____ are files that record system events on our computer just like a system’s diary. Check all that apply.
- Logs (CORRECT)
Correct: Yep! Logs are our computer’s system diary.
PRACTICE QUIZ: INSTALLING AN OPERATING SYSTEM
1. True or false: If you have a 32-bit CPU architecture, it’s recommended to use a 64-bit operating system.
- FALSE (CORRECT)
Correct! Nice work! To have better compatibility with your OS and CPU, you should be using the same CPU and OS architecture.
2. If you want to boot into a USB drive, how do you change your boot settings?
- Login to the machine.
- Replace the CPU.
- Go into the BIOS settings and change the boot settings (CORRECT)
- Wipe the computer.
Right on! To change any boot settings, you’ll need to modify your BIOS settings before the computer loads up the operating system.
3. What is the file manager in macOS called?
- Finder (CORRECT)
- File Explorer
- Midnight Commander
Correct! Great job! The file manager in MacOS is called Finder.
4. What command can you use to create a file using bash?
- touch (CORRECT)
You got it! You can use the touch command to create a file using bash.
5. A ____ is an emulation of a physical machine.
- virtual machine (CORRECT)
That’s right! A virtual machine is used to emulate a physical machine.
GRADED QUIZ: ACCESSING QWIKLABS
1. How long do you have to complete each Qwiklab?
- 20 minutes
- 1 hour (CORRECT)
- 24 hours
- As long as you need.
Great job! You’ll have one hour to complete every lab in this program.
2. True or false: It can take some time for the labs to load once you click “start lab.”
- True (CORRECT)
Yep! The labs can take some time to load. You can use this time to review the lab instructions.
3. True or false: It can take some time for the working instance of Linux and Windows OS to load.
- True (CORRECT)
That’s exactly right! We’re loading a working instance of the OS for you. Each time you open the OS, we’ll need to download some key software for you, which can take some time.
4. What do you need to do to finish a lab and have your grade posted to Coursera?
- Close all lab windows
- Refresh the Coursera course page
- Click the red “End Lab” button (CORRECT)
Excellent! Once you click the red “End Lab” button, your grade will post to Coursera.
5. Are you able to access your work once you click the “End Lab” button?
- No (CORRECT)
You got it! Once you click “End Lab,” you won’t be able to access your work.
Subscribe to our site
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
Quiztudy Top Courses
Popular in Coursera
- Google Advanced Data Analytics
- Google Cybersecurity Professional Certificate
- Meta Marketing Analytics Professional Certificate
- Google Digital Marketing & E-commerce Professional Certificate
- Google UX Design Professional Certificate
- Meta Social Media Marketing Professional Certificate
- Google Project Management Professional Certificate
- Meta Front-End Developer Professional Certificate
Liking our content? Then, don’t forget to ad us to your BOOKMARKS so you can find us easily!