GOOGLE IT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE
Course 1- Technical Support Fundamentals
Week 5: Software
Coursera Study Guide
Click to Enroll in Coursera Google IT Support Professional Certificate
TABLE OF CONTENT
In the fifth week of this course, we’ll learn about computer software. We’ll learn about what software actually is and the different types of software you may encounter as an IT Support Specialist. We’ll also explore how to manage software and revisit the concept of “abstraction.” By the end of this module, you’ll use the Qwiklabs environment to install, update and remove software on both Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Be able to install software on Windows and Linux.
- Understand the main components of software and how they work.
- Describe how computers use instructions to process input and produce output.
- Describe how a program breaks down into instructions for the CPU.
PRACTICE QUIZ: INTRODUCTION TO SOFTWARE
1. Which of these is application software? Check all that apply.
- Email client (CORRECT)
- Web browser (CORRECT)
Correct! Your web browser and email clients are considered application software.
2. Which of these is system software? Check all that apply.
- Windows OS (CORRECT)
- Text editor
- BIOS (CORRECT)
You got it! The Windows OS and the BIOS are considered system software.
3. What is the difference between an interpreted and a compiled language? Check all that apply.
- Compiled languages are translated into machine instructions beforehand. (CORRECT)
- Compiled languages are not translated into machine instructions beforehand.
- Interpreted languages are broken into machine instructions beforehand.
- Interpreted languages are not broken into machine instructions beforehand. (CORRECT)
Excellent job! Interpreted languages are not broken into machine instructions beforehand, like compiled languages are.
4. ____ is translating one language to another.
- Coding (CORRECT)
Great job! Coding is translating one language to another.
5. When writing code, a(n) ____ is usually used to perform a single- or limited-range task.
- script (CORRECT)
Nice work! Scripts are used as a way to perform a single or limited task.
6. A type of software that can allow freedom of use, modification, and sharing is known as:
- Commercial software
- Open-source software (CORRECT)
- Application software
- System software
Nice work! Software that can be free to use, modified, and shared is known as open-source software.
7. Which of these software is firmware?
- Windows Operating System
- Calculator app
- BIOS (CORRECT)
- Web browser
Great job! The BIOS is software that is stored permanently on hardware.
8. Which of the following software versions is the highest?
- 4.1.2 (CORRECT)
Great job! A software version of 4.1.2 is greater than the software version 3.0.9.
9. The concept of taking a complex system and simplifying it for use is known as ____.
- abstraction (CORRECT)
Yes! In all facets of computing, we use the concept of abstraction to help make our lives easier.
10. Before we had compilers, what language was used to allow human readable instructions to be assembled into machine code?
- Assembly (CORRECT)
Wohoo! Assembly language was used to make semi-human readable instructions into machine code.
PRACTICE QUIZ: INTERACTING WITH SOFTWARE
1. In the Linux distribution Ubuntu, what command would you use to install an application?
- apt (CORRECT)
Great job! apt is a command we use in Ubuntu for package installs.
2. True or false: When managing software, you should only be worried about how to install software.
- False (CORRECT)
Right on! Managing software includes many tasks such as installing, updating, and removing software.
3. True or false: When using a 64-bit OS, you should install 64-bit applications.
- True (CORRECT)
You got it! Remember with CPU architecture, you want to use the same application and OS architecture for better compatibility.
4. ____ makes processes work automatically.
- Software management
- Automation (CORRECT)
That’s right! With the help of automation, we can make processes work automatically.
Subscribe to our site
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
Quiztudy Top Courses
Popular in Coursera
- Meta Marketing Analytics Professional Certificate.
- Google Digital Marketing & E-commerce Professional Certificate.
- Google UX Design Professional Certificate.
- Meta Social Media Marketing Professional Certificate
- Google Project Management Professional Certificate
- Meta Front-End Developer Professional Certificate
Liking our content? Then, don’t forget to ad us to your BOOKMARKS so you can find us easily!